Bath Astronomers is a member of the Federation of Astronomical Societies or FAS for short. Our membership allows us to share knowledge, experiences and to aggregate guidance on common issues when running a society such as Child Protection, GDPR etc.
We also benefit from public liability insurance so that members can participate in public observing events with the comfort of the knowledge that we have some protection if a visitor unfortunately hurts themselves and decides to take legal action against us. We strive to ensure that all events are as safe as possible but its dark and often cold/icy so accidents can happen.
The latest newsletters from the FAS can be found at:
The FAS also produce guidance documents for astronomy societies which may be of use. Here are some of them:
- Guide to why you should do outreach v1.0
- Child Protection Guidelines v1.3
- GDPR for Astronomical Societies v2.1
- FAS Guidelines on Laser Pointers v1.0
- FAS Constitution 2013
- 01 Federation of Astronomical Societies – PLI Essentials Introduction 2020-2021 v1.0
- Risk Assessment Guidelines v1.0
- Joining & Renewing MemberMojo v1.0
- Grow your Society v1.0